Our Vision…

  • We are encouraging all young people to take action in their community and our world.
  • We are moving forward with our mission.
  • We are powerful advocates for change.
  • We are making a difference.
  • We are proactive not reactive.
  • We are the future so hear our voices!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

COCA-COLA SUMMIT

(Photo is a Coke commercial still frame)

COCA-COLA SCHOLARS SUMMIT


“I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company”

-song from Coca-Cola commercial circa 1970s

“Golly…I’m going to Atlanta”! No, those aren’t Scarlet O’ Hara’s lines from the “Gone with the Wind” film script, it is just what I announced when I received a letter in the mail telling me I had been chosen as a 2010 Coca-Cola Scholar and would be going to the Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia for the award ceremony.



“I'd like to buy the world a home, and furnish it with love, grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves. I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company!” Those are the words sung in a beautiful 1970’s Coca-Cola commercial that gathered youths and teens from all different cultures and backgrounds on a mountaintop to proclaim a super swell Coca-Cola song of peace, love and harmony.


(Photo is a Coke commercial still frame)

Many years later Coca-Cola still strives to proclaim this message by annually hosting the Coca-Cola Scholarship Awards given to youths from all around the world who are excelling in academics and altruistic endeavors.


(I-SPY: Can you spot me in this Coca-Cola Scholar group shot? HINT: I am standing next to the Coca-Cola Scholar foundation President Mark Davis (aka the only one in a suit and tie))

2010 marks the 22nd consecutive year the foundation has awarded scholarships and are pressing forward as a company to encourage and support youths that are “being the change we all want to see,” says one Coca-Cola executive. Out of more than 80,000, a group of 253 youths were called up to the metaphorical mountain aka summit for the 2010 Scholars Awards. The summit was a wonderful experience and it was great meeting so many youths who are passionate about their crafts while remaining dedicated in academics. The events ranged from historical visits to charity work. We visited the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site, The Coca-Cola history headquarters museum along with many others.




After I returned from Atlanta, I had the opportunity to visit another center dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the Stanford University campus. I was greatly inspired as I met some great academicians and civil rights activists who fought for equal rights in Dr. King's day including his Lawyer, Dr. Clarence Jones and Dr. Clayborne Carson, a current Stanford Professor. According to a Stanford Alum and current employee, the Stanford vaults contain even more photos and documents than the Museum in Atlanta! Below are some photos we took, I felt it appropriate to share as I am already on the topic of Dr. King!



(This is a photo of Stanford University where the MLK center is)



(Left to Right: Me, Dr. Carson and IAPW's Jodie Blum outside the MLK Center.)

(Left to Right: IAPW's Jodie Blum, Dr. Jones and Me inside the MLK Center.)



Seeing the MLK museum was surely moving, my favorite events however also included the social service/charity events. In the photos below, we are painting and retrofitting recycled Coca-Cola syrup barrels into colorful rain barrels which will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to benefit youth in need!  Ours is dubbed "Scholars In Harmony." You can bid on it and see a close up link here.





I am so grateful for the Coca-Cola Recognition and I am excited to continue inspiring a positive and solution-oriented attitude towards the future. Would I like to help teach the world to “sing” in perfect harmony? Yes, person by person and note for note we can all make a positive difference!


(Here I am with the finished rain barrel my group worked on! Guess who painted the rose???)






(P.S. Something that you may not know about the Coca-Cola Company, they also make cool drinks like the Odwalla, Minutemaid and Vitamin Water.)


Sources: www.coca-colascholars.org