Our Vision…

  • We are encouraging all young people to take action in their community and our world.
  • We are moving forward with our mission.
  • We are powerful advocates for change.
  • We are making a difference.
  • We are proactive not reactive.
  • We are the future so hear our voices!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Strawberry Fest

Summer is one of my favorite times of the year (of course fall, winter and spring are too so I don’t really have a bona fide “favorite”). Not only does it bring months filled with golden rays of sunlight, longer days and blooming roses, but it’s also the time of the strawberry festival!

For those of you that do not know, I love strawberries! When I was really little I found out that they also double as a lovely “lipstick” color which sadly due to the “tastiness” didn’t last long. Now I just like them period, plus they come with an added benefit in that they “supposedly” whiten teeth. Anyway, the Strawberry Festival in Gardena, CA is a splendid fair/parade that happens annually around summertime, but what I like best of all is the fact that it gives back to the community!



(There were so many great booths and fun games. Here I am at one of the activity tables…Three cheers for carnival games!)

Each year the Strawberry Festival hosts a special day for children with mental, physical and emotional challenges. I participated in this fun packed day spending time with many really sweet and extremely brave kids, their families and caretakers. I really enjoyed the rides, games and activities with my new buddies.


I also volunteered to pass out water and wore none other than my bright red strawberry vis-ette (I would say visor but the little hat requires a far more adorable term). The day was all about encouraging the kids to “keep on keeping on” despite difficulties, disabilities or hardships. It was a great way to break into summer and help bring smiles to many faces!