Our Vision…

  • We are encouraging all young people to take action in their community and our world.
  • We are moving forward with our mission.
  • We are powerful advocates for change.
  • We are making a difference.
  • We are proactive not reactive.
  • We are the future so hear our voices!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The United Nations Conference: Commission on the Status of Women

The United Nations Conference: Commission on the Status of Women
“Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today…I want to be a part of it - New York, New York”
-“New York, New York” by Frank Sinatra

(In the airport on my way to New York)


Recently, I was in spectacular and ever beloved New York to be a part of something simply swell, a part of something greater than myself and to spread the news of some vital issues affecting women. I was in NYC for the 2010 Commission on the Status of Women Conference. The conference established in 1946, is a long time supporter of women’s rights under the United Nations Economic and Social Council, a leading effort of the United Nations. The conference is in essence a grand gathering of state and country ambassadors/representatives meeting together on behalf of women. The conference goes through varied stages of identifying key social challenges and coming up with location based solutions to bring about equality, and justice. The UN meeting draws many leaders to evaluate the status of efforts from former years and new global standards.


I attended as an IAPW youth ambassador, honorary UN Ambassador and as a girl/young woman and activist myself. Whether it is portrayal of women in media, injustice in the workplace, domestic violence, culturally accepted disrespect in countries or simply a fella saying “go make me a sandwich” it is important to stand up for women’s rights. (Excuse the informality of the previous “sandwich” example, but I have heard many of my peers express outrage over this specific phrase. )



I spoke at one of the official conferences presenting a youth perspective as well as an arts/entertainment and media image view. I believe that a more positive and balanced role for women in the arts can help to encourage more respect and equality throughout the world. As a scholar and artist I seek to be a good and honest ambassador for women/girls in order to inspire themes of social justice and equal rights. The ambassadors and leaders strongly concurred and clapped most passionately when I concluded my speech with a performance. I’m wearing one of those classic “I Love New York” shirts as I type this now, but what can I say? Good ole New York, an entertainment capitol and UN headquarters.